SectionFormat™/PageFormat™ (2nd Printing, December 2009), a joint publication of CSI and Construction Specifications Canada (CSC), combines the two recommended formatting standards into one publication, providing a uniform approach to organizing and presenting specification sections.
- SectionFormat provides a uniform standard for arranging specification text in a project manual's sections using a three-part format. It reduces the chance of omissions or duplications in a specification section.
- PageFormat offers a recommended arrangement of text on a specification page within a project manual, by providing a framework for consistently formatting and designating articles, paragraphs, and sub-paragraphs. It also includes guidance for page numbers and margins.
Changes in last Edition
CSI and CSC conducted an industry-wide review process while updating SectionFormat and PageFormat to ensure that the standards kept pace with changes to MasterFormat™ and the OmniClass™ Construction Classification System. The updates also reflect changes in the industry related to advancements in information technology and electronic publishing.
The changes to SectionFormat represent a major update from the previous edition. Significant changes include:
- Coordination and alignment of article and heading titles with MasterFormat™ 2004 Edition and
- Revisions to commentary that explain the use of titles to increase precision, eliminate conflicts and clarify each article and heading
- Updates to cross-references to match MasterFormat 2004 Edition
- Additions relating to sustainability requirements
Updates to PageFormat focused on making documents easier to read without limiting specific technology or processing methods. The new version offers greater freedom to use sophisticated publishing and electronic media techniques on a wider variety of display devices. Other notable changes include:
- Substantial reduction of variations between CSI and Construction Specifications Canada formats
- Revisions to margin sizes to provide greater flexibility
- Recommendations added for graphics, fonts, symbols and URL formats
- Recommendations for website and computer screen publication